Saturday, July 23, 2011

Trip to Ouaga

I would have never thought that my first time to stay in a different city all by myself would be in a different country, let alone Africa.  But I did it and survived!

I took one of the buses into Ouaga with one of my Burkinabe friends and this trip did not lack in what I call the "African experience."  The first bus was a half an hour late.  When it finally came, my friend said, "Run!" This was not a lie.  We sprinted to the bus and everyone was crowded around the door.  It was crazy!  Unfortunately this bus was already packed full and we missed it.  These buses start in a bigger city about an hour away and then it just quickly rolls through our tiny little city of Yako.  So to put it lightly, you have to fight your way to the bus.

About a half an hour later, the next bus came.  This time, I was ready.  I sprinted to that bus and fought my way on.  I made it....but my friend and I unfortunately did not get a seat.  So, the "African experiences" kept on rolling.  I put my back pack on the ground and braced myself for the two hour bus ride.  I was actually very fortunate to be able to stand because I got to see far and wide out into the Burkina bush.

Pulling up to the bus station was a sight to see.  People, buses, motos, and taxis were EVERYWHERE!  It was way more crowded than the last time I was in the station.  After getting out of the bus, we pushed our way through the crowds of people and headed towards the road so we could get a taxi.  After negotiating a good taxi price we were on our way.

The couple of days in Ouaga were filled with lots of Burkina experiences.  I got to learn and use my Moore, visit one of my friend's courtyards, ride lots of very full taxis, and eat true African food.  I was turning into a true Burkinabe....kind of....

About eight hours after a wonderfully delicious African meal, I got rid of it....to put it nicely.  Yes, I finally got sick in Africa.  It was short lived, only lasted about 18 hours but it was not fun.  As put by my Burkinabe friend, "Kelsey, you just need to practice eating more African food.  Then you can truly be Burkinabe."  Well, not sure if I will follow this piece of advice, but it is always nice receiving words of wisdom.

This trip was both a great Burkina experience and a growing experience for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment