Monday, August 1, 2011

Visiting Frank

In my very full suitcase for this trip there were two things that I was especially excited for.  They were a soccer ball and a pump for the ball.  Now, maybe not the coolest things ever but they were to me because I was going to give them to my family's sponsor child, Frank.

One evening last week I hopped on Pastor Valentine's moto and we were off to Frank's village.  When we arrived there was no one there.  But this wasn't a surprise because everyone was still working out in the fields.  So we waited and while waiting we asked each other different cultural questions: comparing America to Burkina.  It's always fun talking with Valentine and I know he loves to use his English as well.  After hardly anytime at all, Frank's grandpa comes walking up with a baby in his arms and a child walking at his side.  He greets Valentine and myself with an enthusiastic smile.  He immediately tells Valentine of who I am; making sure his assumptions are correct.  It warmed my heart that he recognized me from January.  I too recognized him; I mean who wouldn't.  He is a really short little old man with warmth in his expressions and a cute wool beanie on his head.  He joined Valentine and I and we all started talking.....well they were talking in Moore and I was just listening and then I received the translations from Valentine.  But while they were talking I just watched Frank's grandpa.  I was so awe struck at what a loving grandpa he was.  He was holding a baby in his lap and had a little one on each side of him.  He would bounce the baby on his lap and then tickle the little ones at his side.  My heart was instantly warmed.  It was also great to think that Frank grew up receiving this same love. :-)

After a little bit of conversation Frank came walking up from the fields.  It was good to see him again.  He joined our circle and we all discussed his school year and other various topics.  Then I gave him his soccer ball and ball pump.  I think he was more excited about the pump than the soccer ball.  It was funny.  Valentine took my camera and snapped some shots of Frank and me before we left.  It was a short visit but a fun and memorable one.  I really enjoy Frank and his family and I am honored that my family gets to sponsor him.  It makes the sponsorship so much more real and exciting when I have met and conversed with Frank.  I can't wait to see him again!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment