Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Day in Yako (Monday June 20th)

Butterflies are welling up into my stomach. The car is zooming down the road; I see tiny villages on the right and the left. The people are hard at work in the fields and children are playing along side them. I begin to get more and more excited. Finally we reach the edge of town. Yes! Just a little while longer and I’ll be to Les Ailes de Refuge. We are in Yako now. We pass by many familiar places: the church, local shops and the ladies selling produce. Rushing water zooms past us on both sides of the road. Not too long age there was a large rain; probably the kind we experienced in Ouaga.
            We turn the corner and I see it! The orphanage! The gate doors open and I see smiling, familiar faces on either side. I have finally arrived. I am SO excited to see everyone.
            Once inside our house we open everything up, unload and then get ready for the Italian family that is coming to adopt one of the orphanage children. I go to my room and begin to change the sheets. I already knew I’d have to do some damage control when it came to debugging the room. Yes, spiders already came to invade. Now, when it comes to bugs, I am obviously not a huge fan, but spiders and me…No, no. we are not friends. So I get my game face on and start the killing. Once I knew my room was safe I began to unpack and make myself at home. And it truly feels like home here. I am so glad to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment