Sunday, September 9, 2012

Crocodiles

The next day after my arrival I was privileged enough to embark on a fun, exciting and scary adventure to Bazoule. Here in this small village, lies a lake that has hundreds of crocs inhabiting it. These crocodiles are know to be "sacred" crocs that if you make a sacrifice to them then you will be granted your wish or prayer. We didn't go to do this, but we did go to visit these crocodiles. Little did we know that we would actually get to touch them...and yes...sit on them!
Our two "tour guides" led us to the lake and informed us of the history of the crocs, fun facts and even a biology lesson on the anatomy of the crocodile. But this wasn't all. We had much more in store for our afternoon outing with the crocs. Our tour guides led us down to the water and lured the crocs out of the water by teasing them with a chicken in hand. The men carefully selected the croc that they wanted to lure all the way to shore. Out came a large, chunky crocodile that wasn't the most swift or nimble of creatures; probably this was to our advantage. The men then proceeded to tell us to hop right on the back of this scaly creature. He of course demonstrated how it was to be done. Basically you could do anything to this beast and he wouldn't care as long as you didn't make any loud noises. So on climbed everyone until it was down to me. I have to admit I'm not the bravest of people; I can be a caution freak sometimes so I was just about to pass it up when all of a sudden I conjured up the courage to sit on the beast. With the help of my dear friend Delaney I climbed on the croc and sat there and got my picture taken. I am so glad that I did it and I had a great time!It was an awesome day filled with crazy and funny moments all wrapped up in one. There's never a dull moment when crocs are involved...especially in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment